#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto !important;}

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Just Another Ordinary Day

It was just another ordinary day.
I read about the Bronte sisters and World War II and the Loch Ness Monster. 
I listened to a few chapters of a Dickens audio book (David Copperfield) while I cooked and a 1940s radio comedy show while I cleaned. 
I washed loads of laundry and scrubbed the kitchen.
I finished Module 2 of my 14-part writing course and celebrated with dark chocolate chips.
I sang Judy Garland and Bing Crosby songs in the shower. 
I sipped hot peppermint tea with my morning devotions. 
I filled out a part-time job application and made a mess with wood stain and paint and furniture wax.
I opened the blinds and let in the sunshine as long as it would last. 
I texted my sisters, both of them, about the crazy, wonderful ideas we have for being creative and inspiring the world.
I called my mom and dad and talked of life's trials with the knowledge that God is in control. 
I laughed with them about inside jokes and funny things my nieces and nephews do.
I threw together a recipe and let the slow cooker do the rest.
I kissed my husband when he walked in from work.
We ate our supper on the couch and watched I Love Lucy and The Twilight Zone. (Guess who picked which shows?) ;)
We read Sherlock Holmes and The Love Dare and words of the Puritans and words of God by lamplight before bed.

Tomorrow, we rise again, and we praise God for the magic of the new day, for the wonder of now. This is how we make ordinary days wonderful. We do fun things, even though they may be simple. We cherish those people God has placed in our lives. We live in the light of the Giver of all good gifts, and we stretch forth our hands and receive. We trust. We love. We celebrate. We give. And we live.

Why do we celebrate? Why does our joy overflow (even though sometimes it seems anemic and all but lost)? Because of Christ. Because of His great mercy in redeeming us. Because of His love and grace and marvelous gifts. Because of His presence. 
HE makes ordinary days wonder-full.

No comments: